If you have purchased bottled water lately, you may have have noticed all the different types of bottled water that are now on the market.
The Water Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates water that is classified as "bottled water" or "drinking water" to meet certain standards.
For a product to be considered “bottled water”, it must not contain sweeteners or chemical additives (other than flavors, extracts or essences) and must be sugar-free and calorie-free. If flavors, extracts and essences -- derived from spices or fruits -- are added to the water, these additions must comprise less than 1% by weight of the final product. Beverages that contain more than the 1% by weight flavor limit are classified as soft drinks, not bottled water.
The FDA defines the various types of water as follows:
- Artesian Water: Bottled water from a well that taps a confined aquifer (a water-bearing underground layer of rock or sand).
- Sparkling Water: Water that after treatment and possible replacement with carbon dioxide contains the same amount of carbon dioxide that it had at emergence from the source. (An important note: soda water, seltzer water and tonic water are not considered bottled waters. They are regulated separately and may contain sugar and calories. These types of waters are considered soft drinks.)
- Spring Water: Bottled water derived from an underground formation from which water flows naturally to the surface of the earth.
- Mineral Water: Contains no less than 250 parts per million of total dissolved solids (minerals). No minerals can be added to this product.
- Purified Water: Water labeled as “purified” can be derived from either distillation, deionization or reverse osmosis.
Your local Culligan® Dealer delivers crystal clear bottled water in a variety of sizes in Spring Water (1, 2.5, 3 and 5 Gallon); Distilled Water (1 Gallon); Pure Drinking Water (20oz, 24oz, 1/2 liter, 1 liter and 1 1/2 liter, 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon). Contact your local dealer to find out what Culligan bottled water products he carries, and to discuss your water needs.